Guidelines for secondary science teacher portfolios
A summary of the guidelines for preparing secondary science teacher portfolio entries
Four independent performance assessment tasks have been prepared, which together provide evidence covering the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, relevant curriculum areas and core teaching skills.
The first entry is based on samples of student work over time. The second and third are based on video recordings and the fourth is based on documented accomplishments in the wider school community.
Each set of guidelines for preparing a portfolio entry is accompanied by:
- a guide as to how assessors will be trained to review the evidence provided in an entry and how to make their judgment, and
- a guide to the organisation of your entry in preparation for electronic submission.
Guidelines for portfolio entries, organisation of entries and assessment
1. Building conceptual understanding in science
For this entry, teachers are asked to demonstrate how they build students’ knowledge and conceptual understanding of important concepts in science.
2. Conducting a whole-class discussion in science
For this entry, teachers are asked to demonstrate how they lead and facilitate whole-class discussions in science.
3. Science investigation and inquiry
For this entry, teachers are asked to demonstrate how they further the development of their students’ skills in science inquiry.
4. Engaging your professional community in a project to improve teaching and learning in science
For this entry, teachers are asked to initiate, or play a significant role in, a project to strengthen the capacity of their professional community over an extended period of time.